FISH (intermediate to advanced surfers)
- similar to a shortboard but generally smaler in length
- round nosed making it stable and maneuverable
- perfect for small to medium waves
SHORTBOARD (intermediate to advanced surfers)
- the shortboard or thruster is the most popular type of surfboard
- good for quick maueuvers
- this design can also come in a longboard size – called a Gun – suitable for big drops and high speeds (advanced surfers)
FUNBOARD (beginners to intermediate surfers)
- similar to a longboard but generally smaller in length
- it can come in a variety of shapes
- good transition board from a longboard
- a longboard or (mini) mal is a wide, stable board
- lots of flotation
- good for catching all kinds of wave
So, the top tips for finding your magic board:
- Get a board that is long enough – choose something that floats! This is essential for gaining speed in the water and volume is super important.
- Don’t just ride what the pros ride – no offence, but they are pro for a reason.
- Try something different – used to riding a standard thruster? Why not switch things up and try out a fish? Try your friends boards, try everything you can, all shapes and sizes.